Monday, June 6, 2011

Breastfeeding Tip...

As you may have read from previous posts, my passion is breastfeeding. My best friend just had her long awaited baby yesterday, Faith Suzanne! And I have been honored to help with breastfeeding. Also, another friend of mine was having her baby, Cameron Ian, on the same day! Talking with both moms reminded me of a tip I learned about during my BF instruction that I thought I would pass on to you.

Successful breastfeeding has everything to do with baby's latch (and partner support). When your baby comes off the breast, visually check your nipple. Baby should not have distorted the nipple in anyway, it should look like a perfectly round plug, and not pinched in anyway. If your nipple is pinched, baby has not taken enough of your nipple and is pushing it against baby's hard palate, instead of baby's soft palate. Line baby's nose up with your nipple, wait for a wide open mouth and bring baby to your breast. Then have your partner pull baby's chin down to take in more of your nipple. For more info, visit this great breastfeeding website.

No comments: