Monday, September 27, 2010

The Best Salmon I'll Ever Eat...


...turns out to be my own! I took on Bon Appetit's Eat Local Challenge and made (what I like to call) Salmon with Apple Slaw. Oh my goodness - it was delicious. My hubby grilled the perfect salmon and I created a fab apple slaw to serve with it. I served a mixed green salad with red peppers and feta with it and blueberry compote with whipped cream and honey for dessert. Continue reading for food, sources and recipes. Bon Appetit!


Food and Farmers:
apple cider vinegar from Bellewood Acres, Lynden, WA (12 miles)
apples, pepper from Cloud Mountain Farm, Everson, WA (16 miles)
blueberries from Boxx Berry Farm, Ferndale, WA (15 miles)
feta and butter from Golden Glen Creamery, Bow, WA (27 miles)
honey from Backyard Bees, Edison, WA (24 miles)
mixed greens from Terra Vida Farm, Everson, WA (16 miles)
parsley from my garden (0 miles)
salmon from VIS Seafoods, Bellingham, WA (caught between Bellingham Bay and San Juan Island, less than 35 miles)
salt from local grocery (only exception to challenge)
shallot from my garden (0 miles)
whipping cream from Fresh Breeze Organic Dairy, Lynden, WA (12 miles)
wine from San Juan Vineyards, Friday Harbor, WA (32 miles)

Recipes:
For the salmon, brush 2 tablespoons of melted butter over 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet. then sprinkle with salt. Grill salmon skin-side down first, flip when about 2/3 cooked through and opaque. Cook until thermometer in thickest part reads 125 deg F.

For the apple slaw, mince one shallot, julienne three apples (I used Elstar apples because they aren't too sweet), leaf one cup of parsley and toss in small bowl. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to bowl and toss to mix. Serve over salmon.

For the salad, toss three cups mixed greens, with one chopped red pepper and 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese. In a small bowl, mix 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar with 2 teaspoons honey and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over the salad.

For the blueberry compote, heat one cup blueberries over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add 1/4 cup honey and cook until half the berries burst. Remove from heat and mix in one cup of fresh blueberries. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with honey.

1 comment:

rachel said...

omg, shannon. I am drooling! that looks fabulous. you are sure to win. unless the judges are idiots. : )