Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dinner Tonight...

I thought I would try something new and post a dinner menu every week that includes a dish for babies through toddlers. One meal to feed everyone in the family! Please comment and let me know what you think.

Tonight try Mexican Corn and Bean Soup with applesauce, a green salad and corn bread. This is not the soup I make, I use the Colophon Cafe's recipe which I can't publish, but it is very similar. Try their other soups, we love the African Peanut and the Split Pea.

6 months and older
Peel and chop one apple per person and put in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover the bottom and cook on medium heat, stirring often for about 10 minutes or until very fork tender. Strain the apples and reserve the cooking water. Puree the apples, using some of the cooking water if needed. For new eaters, you will want this really smooth and soupy. For babies that have been eating for about a month, you don't have to puree it perfectly smooth. Once Clare moved beyond first foods, at about 7 months, I started using store bought applesauce. I really like Trader Joe's Unsweetened Applesauce.

9 months and older
Reserve some of the beans and mash for the older babies. Serve warm with the applesauce and cornbread.

11 months and older
For the finger food eaters, strain the cooked soup and let them pick out the tomatoes, corn and beans to eat. Serve with cornbread and applesauce.

Green salad for 2 years and older
Clare is 16 months now and still has trouble with lettuce but I continue to offer it to her. Without a lot of teeth, greens are difficult to chew and move from the front of the mouth to the back.

Enjoy dinner!

1 comment:

rachel said...

mmm, that soup looks good, I might have to try it!