Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mixers

Wow, sorry about that. I got sidetracked (read "overwhelmed") with the holidays and missed out on blogging. The good news is that I have all sorts of yummy treats to talk about in the next several weeks. First up is trail mix.

We visited my sister over New Year's which involved a whole day of travel to the airport and then a flight. I wanted to pack something filling and nutritious for the girls to munch on and something Clare could eat out of her little snack cup (http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Snack-Catchers-Colors-Vary/dp/B000GB0NZK). Also, I wanted to make it myself so I could omit the salt and nuts (a choking hazard for Clare). So that I wouldn't go overboard as I tend to, I chose to limit the trail mix to four groups: whole grain, fruit, nut (protein) and treat. I let Bailey, who is 5, choose hers and she picked cereal, raisins, pistachios, and mini marshmallows. Clare got cereal, raisins, roasted sunflower seeds and dried apples. (I know, another fruit, but she thinks they are candy!) I packed cereal, dried cherries, hazelnuts and dark chocolate chips for me. Mike got cereal, banana chips, almonds and gummy fish. I found most of this in the bulk food section of our local grocery store. The dried apples I found in the baby food section, they are tiny squares which are perfect for little mouths. Limit the dried fruit for the babies (kids under two). Too much and it can expand in their tummies and cause indigestion or vomiting. I measured out an eighth of a cup of each group for the mix for the kids and a quarter cup of each for the adults.

Have fun experimenting with all your favorites. By the way, I have found this is great to have out on the counter for busy moms. You can just grab a handful on your way past the kitchen between diaper changes.

1 comment:

Dena Mehling said...

Shannon... love this idea! I hear you're coming to the next retreat! Can't wait to see you all! Dena