Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Collard Greens 30 Miles from Canada

I signed us up for a weekly organic produce bin and every once in awhile they throw in collard greens. Since I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, I had never seen them - I can make a mean nettle tea, but collard greens? Aren't those the slimy things in grits? I kid you not, I cooked them the other night and we loved them! I was trying to serve greens instead of rice for the base of this "stir fry". Of course, I forgot to take photos until after we had eaten and by then, who wants to see a dirty plate? So a recipe for you with no photos (I hate those kind, so I will make them again and snap a pic for ya' all!):

1 bunch collard greens, stems removed, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. red chili flakes
1 T olive oil
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 pint fresh grape tomatoes, halved
1 package of fully cooked chicken sausage, sliced

In a deep skillet (I LOVE my cast iron pan) heat olive oil on medium heat. Sauté the garlic and chili flakes for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the broccoli florets and cook, tossing frequently, until they begin to soften. Next turn the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and sausage. Cook for 3 minutes or until they get seared on one side. Add the collard greens and cover for 3 minutes.

Serve!

No comments: