Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Plum Perfection

We had friends over last Saturday night and I wanted a meal that was easy to prep, easy to cook and hopefully something toddlers and adults would like so I choose this recipe: Pork Kebabs with Grilled Plums. It was easy to prep, just some chopping. It was easy to cook; I sent the boys outside to grill the kebabs and plums. And everyone liked it! Yeah! I substituted quinoa for the couscous and no one seemed to mind. For side dishes I was about to send my hubby to the store last minute (like I do too often) for more spinach when I thought to make several small salads with what I already had in the fridge. Super idea as it used up our organic bin delivery and the guests had several choices. I made spinach salad, cucumber salad, and Massaged Kale and Currant Salad from one of my favorite cookbooks, Cooking With Whole Foods by Cynthia Lair. I am not a fan of kale and am always looking for a new way to cook it. This salad was fantastic and got rave reviews from the dinner guests. Ms. Lair takes chopped kale and massages it with sea salt until it starts to break down. I think I can use this massaged kale as a base for all sorts of salads. But I think I will just call it kale!

For new eaters, add some of baby's milk to the quinoa for a creamy whole protein. For finger food eaters serve them the grilled plums, chopped with the quinoa or couscous, they can try the kale salad as well.

No comments: